Friday, November 6, 2009

Joy

Last night I found out that yet another of the foundations of my childhood has passed away. More and more of this will come as I get older, but that doesn't seem to dampen the blow.
Joy was... well, just that. Joy but with a capital "J." There was always this joy and peace that seemed to radiate from within her. When we were in California in September I was able to see her one last time. Her dialysis had certainly been taking it's toll. You could tell that just living had gotten much harder for her in these late days. Even in spite of all of that, though, she was still Joy through and through. She got to see both of the boys and I got to hug her again. I have only gotten to see her a couple times since I got married and moved away from my hometown, but I will still miss her greatly. I want to be more like her in my own life and circumstances, peaceful, joyous, loving and supporting. She was always there with a hug and an encouraging word for me and my life would have been so much less without her in it. For now I will mourn her but there's the consolation that I will see her again. Joy is not one I would ever have a worry of not seeing in heaven someday. Her pain is gone now, the struggle over and she will be with her husband and daughter again.
There are so many memories and loving thoughts of Joy in my head and heart, I could not do them any sort of justice here. So I'll close with this. When I spent some years working as a youth pastor when I was much younger, I was given an office that I decided to decorate in beach decor. Joy and Ray took the time to go dig up this hymn, make a copy and frame it just for me. I still have it even today because it was that special to me.

Finally Home
by Don Wyrtzen

When engulfed by the terror of tempestuous sea,
Unknown waves before you roll;
At the end of doubt and peril is eternity,
Though fear and conflict seize your soul.

But just think of stepping on shore and finding it heaven!
Of touching a hand and finding it God's!
Of breathing new air and finding it celestial!
Of waking up in glory and finding it home!


Welcome home, Joy!

No comments: