Thursday, July 24, 2008

Another Cake In Progress


Here I was watching my least favorite show in Food Network while I'm on my knees at my coffee table. My hands covered in shortening and food coloring. I've been rolling and coloring gumpaste and fondant. The rest of my little family has been in bed for hours already. I'll be headed there shortly myself, but wanted to show off my progress toward this cake so far. The color isn't exactly right in the picture, but what you're seeing will be buildings that go around a cake in the process of being destroyed by our little Transformer friends (in the back). As you can see, they didn't spare my little palm tree in the path of their destruction. This cake is going to look awesome when it's done! Now I think all I have left is to make the flames that will come out of the buildings and bake and frost the cake. I'll be sure to post up pictures when it's done on Sunday!
Speaking of destruction. My worst enemies, the local squirrels, demolished my very first tomato of the season today. I shook my fist in the air, but they weren't around. They were probably eating someone else's barely ripe tomato as well. It was my first orange one, too! Any advice on how to keep them away from my veggies??

3 comments:

Amber said...

I'm anxious to see how this one turns out. My boys love transformers, so I'm always looking for creative cake ideas.

Btw, where can I find that marshmallow fondant recipe? I was hoping to give it a try, but wasn't sure where to look. A Wilton's book maybe? Thanks!

Amber said...

Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

Dang, I thought those things I sent you for the squirrels worked. I have no other suggestions.

Can't wait to see how the cake turns out. Josh is going to be jealous that you are making a cake for some other little boy. For Anthony and Aaron, Anya made a treasure chest full of gold (chocolate) coins. The boys loved it for their Pirate Party.